40 year old dev lost at sea and looking for advice [closed]

Career Talk Job Search Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I´m a 40 year old, single and without children, developer. I have a CS degree and I´ve been working as a developer for almost 20 years.

I live and work in Argentina. Argentina has, depending on the information source, a 20-30% yearly inflation rate.

Most dev jobs here are in professional services companies (software factories, staffing), and the few product companies that exist are starting to follow the model of said services companies: a strong hierarchical model where dev is seen as "any can do" work and teams are composed mostly of junior programmers. Someone with 5 years of experience is seen as an expert there.

From 2013 to date all jobs I could get were in professional services companies, be it in software factories or as an external employee with a client. Payment and stability have been poor, treatment has been worse.

Now I face a dilemma, I have 2 job opportunities.

One is as a dev where the pay is good. I've met the owner, who was (or still is) a director in a professional services at a CoWorking. I will work there and he will hire me through another company, because his company is still not registered after a year of operations, in fact the company does not even have a web site. The only thing he has under his belt is that he has grown 2 professional services companies before, and I can confirm that. But it could also be that he has just got a couple of contracts through contacts and is working with them as extra. He told me that his business model will be based on skills and experience instead of being cheap, but his few company employees on Linkedin are in their early/middle twenties. He also showed me the money first and told me about the position later.

The other opportunity is as a business analyst in a mid sized professional services company specialized in the energy industry. The pay is 25% less but it could probably give me some leverage to grow as a PM or Delivery Manager or at least an escape from all the mistreatment I get as an old external dev.

Given a choice I wouldn´t program anymore. The last 5 years have been programmer´s hell, and all the stress and mistreatment literally cost me an eye, my left eye. But inflation is high here, and money is really needed.

Does the first option sound too much of a risk?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Too much of a risk depends on what your personal tolerance is to risk and how much you depend on having a stable income, everyone’s circumstances are different.

If money is really needed as you’ve suggested maybe the first option isn’t suitable, or at least until the company gets of the ground. Depending on your personal circumstances if the s://forum.tuteehub.com/tag/opportunity">opportunity outweighs the risk only you can decide and any answer would be opinion based.

As you’ve stated, you would move away from programming if you could so does this not help make your mind up? You have a choice developer or BA.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community