Any harm in telling recruiter what other roles I am interviewing for?

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

It's something that bothered me for a while but cannot really put my finger on it. They call you and discuss some roles, inevitably enquiring whether I am interviewing anywhere else. I say yes, and they then usually want to know where exactly. It's often not enough to say 'a bank' or some such generic thing.

Is it risky to disclose the exact company/role/ref number? If they are from a different agency (to the one representing me for that other role), are there ways for (the unscrupulous part of) them to scupper my efforts?

Perhaps it's best to politely insist I keep it confidential. Or is it mostly for them to see how urgently they have to push along with their own role? I am sure it's naive to think that! But what are the possible ways for them to influence a seemingly unrelated interview process?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Is it risky to disclose the exact company/role/ref number? If they are from a different agency (to the one representing me for that other role), are there ways for (the unscrupulous part of) them to scupper my efforts?

I'd never disclose any such information beyond the really generic - "it's a fintech firm around York" for instance, should be more than enough (if you even want to give that much info.) There's no advantage for you in them knowing the specifics, and they could potentially do one of a few bad things with that info:

• They may introduce themselves to the company and say they know you, then try to claim commission if you're hired there;
  • They may also be hired by that company for that role (you've just found them via another means), and therefore they could explicitly recommend to the company that they don't hire you for whatever reason in order to get their commission;
  • Unscrupulous, but they may have contacts they can use informally or otherwise to try to make sure you don't get that job, or you're lowballed on an offer (so you end up rejecting it.)

If they know that you're generically interviewing elsewhere, that could potentially be an advantage in that they want to prioritise getting you good places to make sure they get their commission (and likewise they're therefore more likely to negotiate a higher offer.)

They can / will be persistent, because it's definitely in their advantage to gauge the position you're interviewing for - so you just need to be insistent back and say something like "Just as I wouldn't disclose any opportunities you may provide me with, I'm going to be unable to give any more specific information on the role you're asking about."

If they keep pushing, just say "I'm afraid if this information is needed to progress, then it's probably better we don't carry on beyond this point - thank you for your time" or similar. They'll almost certainly change their tune at that point, and if not, go find a recruiter who will.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community