Does your activity (or lack thereof) on social media have an effect on your perceived employability in a public facing position?

Career Talk Job Search Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm not very active on social media. I have only a Facebook account and none of the other like Twitter or Instagram. I use it mainly to look at what other people get up to in my own time and hardly post anything about myself or my activities. I have also set my account up so that almost none of my info shows up to people who are not friends.

EDIT: The question is directed purely at how employers might use your social media activity to filter candidates. Lets say a person is in a public facing position and posted videos and so on of their extra curricular activities (wild or not), would that actually make a difference in they way they are viewed by possible employers vs someone who posts virtually nothing on their social media accounts.

Some might say one indicates a good social standing while the other might indicate you might be unsocial.

Does your activity (or lack thereof) on social media have an effect on your perceived employability in a public facing position?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

No, it does not (unless you're in PR business where having the activity in social media is a "criteria").

Your social media is usually part of your personal life, which is best kept separate from you official one. So, your activity (or lack thereof) has no impact on your employability.

After the question Edit: Please re-read the above paragraph. You'll not be hired for "socializing". If you can communicate efficiently, that's more than enough for most of the cases.

Personally speaking, I have a large family and a larger group of friends, me and my wife socialize them with pretty often but that does not mean I post photos or status update on social media. I have a knack for photography, so some photos make it to Instagram / twitter, but I can confirm, no frequent than once/twice a year.

However, one point to mention, using social media networks or other forums which are meant for professionals and job search, (like StackOverflow careers, LinkedIn etc.) can have a positive effect on staying up to date about the offers and job postings, however, that does not mean you have to be ""active", you can be a passive researcher and only use the platform to connect to potential employers.

Remember, this will only help you in awareness / info about jobs/open positions. It's likely to have minimal to no impact in the interview and hiring process, though.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community