Employment gap due to sick family member

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

A recent graduate I know has not been working for 1.5 years after graduating with a graduate degree in Engineering due to taking care of ill family member/parent.

In the time of unemployment, they did projects using latest tools/programs to stay relevant and "train" themselves, which is what they would be doing at the job. They are in a highly in demand field in engineering with many opportunities right now and a graduate degree from a top 10 school.

Now they are ready to look for employment in industry.

How should they bring up this employment gap ? Through reference letter ? On resume ? Won't HR just throw it out right away ?

Any advice, tips or recommendations on how to get through HR ? What to do in interview to address it ?

Thank you.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

They might have been unemployed, but can still make visible in their resume the projects they worked on, if it is relevant to their application.

Before I switched field of work, I did some volunteering activity in the new field I was going to work, and just put that in my resume. I happened to meet my future employer right during this volunteering activity.

If the question comes to explain the gap in work, they can simply give the honest explanation along the line "I could not work because I had to take care of an ill family member, however I managed to keep myself up-to-date by doing these projects..."

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community