How to ask for reference from a manager I went extra mile for

Career Talk Job Search Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I work for several staffing/marketing agencies where I go to different retail stores to promote different products. One agency I have worked with for a while and have good report with them.

A few months ago, there was a bit of an exception where things didn't go smoothly and there was a bit of a miscommunication. Essentially one manager said I wasn't going to have a contract renewed, so I found other work, but then they really badly needed me back so I agreed to work a modified schedule.

Anyway, the details of the story aren't the important part. A new contract recently came up which I would really like (and am qualified for). I would like to contact the manager I had worked with previously and ask if she could put in a good word for me. I would like to point out the fact that I had helped them out in the past by effectively working 2 full time jobs when they couldn't fill the contract renewal with a different person.

How can I phrase such a request? I don't want to come off as sounding like I'm threatening them.

Something like

Hi Manager,

I worked with you on project X and I have just applied for project Y. Given how I agreed to project X on inconvenient terms to get it back on track, I would really like to be hired for project Y.

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

As @Kilisi said, I would rather ask your manager in person. Try something like

Hi. I am looking for referees for a job I'm applying for, since we did a good job together even thought the context was hard, I was hoping you could provide a reference ?

Don't talk like "I did a favour to you, now do the same for me" or he/she won't provide a reference (or not a good one...). If I'm the one asked for reference for a applicant (it has happened before), I say the truth. And the truth is, if you ask me a favour this way, I'll think you're not a nice person to work with.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community