How to get advertised salary when applying for jobs through recruitment company

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Here's a thought that occurred to me whilst applying for jobs recently. I have been approached by 3rd party recruiter, who offered me different jobs, I have successfully completed the recruitment process for one of them and was given an offer.

When the recruiter originally presented this job to me, it was advertised with 55k-60k salary. By the end the people who interviewed me came to a conclusion that I am a good fit for the job, but my experience is on the lower end of what they were searching, or even that I will need to pick up some skills, but because I showed eagerness they made the offer.

This was reflected in the offer they made me: 45k + "guaranteed" 10+% bonus. Obviously I was a little disappointed by this, but in my error I have mentioned to the recruiter that I would happily take it in case negotiating more, closer to what was advertised - fails. Obviously it failed and I was left with the above offer, which I have since accepted.

I have given my resignation letter, but since I'm still receiving updates about local jobs, another one popped up. Similar experience, same area. The job is being advertised with a salary range of 50-65k in one place in the advert, but inside the body of the advert this changes to 45-65k. It is again advertised by some 3rd party recruitment company.

It all makes me think 3rd party recruiters are manipulating these numbers, either to make the offer more appealing, or perhaps asking the company for a cut. I would like to know what is happening and if it's a common practice? Are these 3rd party recruitment firms taking a 'cut' % of recruit's salary, instead of a referral bonus? And could I have handled this better, to get a salary that I wanted - closer to what was advertised?

For context, this is taking place in the UK.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Are these 3rd party recruitment firms taking a 'cut' % of recruit's salary, instead of a referral bonus?

Most likely - that's a pretty standard model for recruiters providing for perm roles. It actually works forthe job seeker since it's then in the recruiter's best interest to get the wage as high as possible. This is one reason why they will sometimes "bump" the lower end of the range. They would much rather get a candidate in the job at 50k then 45 as they make more money.

And could I have handled this better, to get a salary that I wanted - closer to what was advertised?

Probably not - the employer was pretty up front about why they were making a lower offer. You could have played hardball and refused the offered rate to see if they would come back with a higher one but at the usual risk of losing the job. The recruiter may or may not have tried to negotiate on your behalf (it's usually in their interest to do so as discussed above) but some might just take the "sale" at the lower rate.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community