Am I eligible to teach on classical guitar

Course Queries Syllabus Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I have been playing classical guitar for over number of years and have a grade 8 practical in trinity. Sometime I have considered to teach some students but not sure whether I eligible to teach because even though I have passed the grade 2,6,8 I haven't have any merit or distinction.

If I am not going do some teaching, I will feel like I am missing something even though I can read and play the pieces and want to get some earning through it since life is hard. Also since I have the skill, it is better to share it than playing on my own.

Now, I am starting to learn violin for around 2 to 3 years. I would say myself in between beginning to intermediate level at least can get the intonation 70% to 90% right on the violin. Hopefully one day, I can teach violin as well, well I mean one day.

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You don't need merit or distinction to teach Classical Guitar or any skill that you have developed some degree of proficiency in. I am not aware of any rules which would preclude you from teaching classical guitar as a private teacher.

You might not be able to get a salaried position at a music school or college, but you could hold yourself out as a private "Classical Guitar Teacher" (or Tutor or Instructor). If you have skills that are valuable and have enough understanding of technique and methods so that you don't set up students with bad habits - you might be able to teach those skills to others.

I say "might" because it's not enough to know how to do what you want to teach someone else to do. You must be able to communicate the proper techniques and methods in a manner that effectively facilitates assimilation of the information by the student. Not all great baseball players make good coaches and some of the best coaches in baseball were not the best players.

If you think you have the patience, and the ability to convey what you know to a beginner in a manner that they can digest and understand and execute, then try taking on a few beginning students and see if you can teach them something they find useful and valuable.

You might want to carefully consider and plan your approach to teaching and develop a philosophy that you and your students can embrace. Take into consideration what were the important building blocks that you had to master before moving on to more advanced techniques. Learning to play classical guitar requires learning some basic skills starting with things such as how to hold the guitar and where to place your picking and fretting hands. Of course the student must at some point be able to develop and demonstrate an ability to execute some simple basic finger picking patters.

You might invent a creative new method of teaching the basics that the new student must master, that might be more effective or more fun than the way you were taught.

If you want to give it a try, you might consider offering free lessons to some of your friends (or their friends) that are interested in learning. This will allow you to get a feel for how you like teaching, and how effectively you are able to get your message through and keep your students motivated to put in the necessary time and effort. If your students are successfully learning skills and making progress and you are able to get them excited about learning to play - you can eventually start asking them to pay what they can afford. And of course, once you discover that your talent for teaching is equal to (or superior to) your talent for playing classical guitar, you can get develop a syllabus or course outline and start soliciting paying students.

You might not be as knowledgeable or have the skills of some of the high level musicians who are out there - but if you can effectively convey the material from concept to mastery, while keeping the student engaged and help them develop a passion for learning to play better, then you will be a great teacher!

As Nike says - "just do it!"

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community