Book comparison, Linear Algebra

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

so next semester (Spring 2015) I'm taking a Linear Algebra class. I was wondering if anyone who's had this book "Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 4th Edition - by David C. Lay" can give me an honest opinion of it. The book mentioned above is the one assigned for my class next semester. A friend of mine gave me this book "Linear Algebra, A Modern Introduction - by David Poole". How do the two compare? DO you think I could not buy the book assigned for my class and instead use the book by David Poole?

Thanks in advance.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I've not ever heard of either of those books, but I've taught linear algebra before and my advice is to buy (or borrow or rent or whatever) the book your instructor assigned.

My reasons:

1. Homework is often assigned out of the book so you need access to the class text anyway.
  2. Most linear algebra books cover pretty much the exact same stuff so the advantage of having the book you want over the book that was assigned is probably minimal.
  3. Though the material is the same, the order is definitely not always the same. If the book you want covers the material in a different order then you're gonna have a hard time understanding proofs that rely on material that you haven't gotten to in class but the book assumes you understand.
  4. Professors sometimes (though not always) know the book they are teaching out of very well and tailor their class presentation to complement whats in the book. You'll be missing out on that.

There are certainly obvious counter arguments to some of what I've said, but I don't think they add up to the weight of the possible downsides.

That said, point (2) and the fact that you already have the other book might convince you to try and not get the class text. If you're gonna go that route just ask the professor why it is/isn't a good idea. If he has reasons to say you shouldn't they're probably honest reasons and he'll probably tell you them straight out. You should also look at the table of contents of the two books and see if you can spot anything that's obviously out of order. That will clue you in to where the potential future pitfalls of your decision might come. Check both books against a class syllabus too (if there's one detailed enough to list topics and/or a schedule).

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community