Can I thoroughly self teach myself maths with books and the internet? [closed]

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

So before I start I will just quickly explain my situation to give a better understanding. So I am 16 years old, homeschooled. Currently in the midst of a computer science degree which is started when I was 13, so I am fairly near the end of it.(I did actually go to primary school and 1 year of secondary school, then left)

Recently I have discovered that I really want to do computer graphics, but with that comes maths. I really like teaching myself things I enjoy, I am not too bad at it either. I enjoy maths since it enables me to program things.

But i am worried that I wont be able to teach myself maths to the level as i would through a formal education or university course in maths like, linear algebra, calculus, trigonometry, matrices, vectors etc.

I have a bias feeling that maths or English is the type of thing you can really only get taught through school, but all the other informal things not taught in school i have not had the same feeling. Maybe its just because i feel like maths should be boring and hard to do.

I bought a lot of basic foundation maths books off amazon yesterday to help me get my maths foundations completely solidified. So that when i go on to the harder stuff i wont have any gaps.

So my question is, is it possible to teach myself those topics with the books and the internet thoroughly enough that if i was examined on all of these i would be pretty much the same level as a student that took a course in it in real life?

Obviously you can't answer that since you dont know me, but what i am trying to say, is would I have enough resources to become as as knowledgeable in the topics as someone who went through high school course s to learn it?

Can someone maybe help me out and list some books which range from the very basics to linear algebra, trigonometry and calculus etc.?

Thanks.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I would say it is possible. A good teacher is is irreplaceable and can make a world of a difference in your education. But, truth to be told, most of the courses, at least in my experience, are not vastly different from writing the content of a set of lectures notes on a blackboard. I am not trying to be denigratory, and such courses still provide much value. In particular

1) The selection of material is appropriate. This is non-trivial: of course if you don't know the subject you don't know what to study. Furthermore, the typical book covers more material than the typical course, i.e. too much for a first go.

2) A lecturer may give a more "user friendly" treatment by giving more details of proofs/calculations or by working out a higher number of examples.

3) Exam/intermediate homework set a threshold for the minimum you should take out of the course.

But these points can be met even when self-studying. In the same order my advice would be:

1) Have a syllabus /set of lectures from a good university course so to know what is important and what may be skipped.

2) Get a book which is friendly and suited for self-study and which presents many worked out examples. Stay well clear of anything known to be concise/terse/foundational of which has similar words in the title. For a specific subject you can look at the threads here or open a new one in which you make clear your requirements.

3) Do not get too self-indulgent. Make sure that you can do (a reasonable number of) the exercises in your book. Even better, university exam sheets of past years are often available on the net, make sure that you can "pass" those.

So, it takes a bit more effort than following a university course but I think that it is doable. It won't be as good as what you get from the best courses/lecturers, but if done properly it is similar to what you would get out of an average course.

Internet makes things different, and I think something like math.stackexchange can be precious: for example if you have solved an exercise or proved something, it may be worth to post it here asking not only if your solution is correct, which maybe you know already, but if there are better ways of doing it and if you are learning how to apply the theory you have studied rather than using ad hoc methods (nothing wrong in finding non-standard solutions to a problem, but part of the point is to learn the machinery so that you can apply it those time that you cannot think of a clever trick).

Best of luck!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community