Couple of difficulties when trying to pick up piano again

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

To keep it brief, I have some background in piano. To illustrate what level I used to have, here are some of the works I used to play

• Some fugues from the Well Tempered Clavier (I did especially well on the F major fugue)
  • French suite by Bach
  • Some etudes by Chopin (acceptable, but not satisfactory except for Op.10 No.1 and Op.10 No.4)
  • Appasionata 1st movement by Beethoven

Around six years ago I stopped practicing the piano for hours everyday. Instead I chose to focus on my schoolwork as well as my own band. I still played the piano everyday though, until three years ago I went to another country. But recently I've been thinking about picking up my piano again, partly due to the fact that couple of my friends quit their jobs and made into music schools. But then I have some confusions on what I should do now.

How should I go about taking back my skills? I am pretty sure I cannot start with Chopin's Etudes. But what level of exercise should I start with? Gradus ad Parnassum? Czerny?

I understand that probably the best way to do this is to find a good teacher, but still any thought/suggestion is really appreciated. Thank you.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I used to sneak into the music school and get kicked out too! Eventually got a digital piano with a hammer action because I wanted to practice without restriction, never quite the same as playing the real thing but can be a good practice tool if you have neighbours. Make sure you play it first before buying, and they can plummet in value after buying so may be worth looking at second hand.

As for taking back your skills, they are never really lost but they become rusty. If you learnt any pieces of by heart try closing your eyes and play without thinking about what your fingers are doing and just listen to yourself. There will still be gaps at first but you will be back to your standard in no time.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community