Declaring a new data type for DNA

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am involved with biology, specifically DNA and often there is a problem with the size of the data that comes from sequencing a genome.

For those of you who don't have a background in biology, I'll give a quick overview of DNA sequencing. DNA consists of four letters: A, T, G, and C, the specific order of which determines what happens in the cell.

A major problem with DNA sequencing technology however is the size of the data that results, (for a whole genome, often much more than gigabytes).

I know that the size of an int in C varies from computer to computer, but it still has way more information storage possibility than four choices. Is there a way to define a type/way to define a 'base' that only takes up 2 or 3 bits? I've searched for defining a structure, but am afraid this isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Also, would this work better in other languages (maybe higher level like java)?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

If you want to use Java, you're going to have to give up some control over how big things are. The smallest you can go, AFAIK, is the byte primitive, which is 8 bits (-128 to 127).

Although I guess this is debatable, it seems like Java is more suitable for broad systems control rather than fast, efficient nitty-gritty detail work such as you would generally do with C.

If there is no requirement that you hold the entire dataset in memory at once, you might even com/tag/try">try using a managed database like MySQL to store the base information and then read that in piece by piece.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community