Derive equation for a cantilever in SHM

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am currently investigating how a hacksaw blade's time period of oscillation changes when I add mass to the end of it or when I change the length it is clamped at.

I found the following equation from an IB worksheet:

T2=16Mπ2x3bEd3T2=16Mπ2x3bEd3

Where:

• TT is the time period for one oscillation;
  • MM is the mass of the cantilever;
  • xx is the length of the cantilever;
  • bb is the breadth of the cantilever and dd is the thickness of the cantilever;
  • and EE is the stiffness of the cantilever.

I've looked around the internet and asked my teachers, but I haven't been able to derive this equation from first principles or the equations given in my syllabus.

If anyone knows where this comes from or would like to try and work it out, I would be very greatful.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I was able to derive a similar equation, but not the exact one you mention.

The differential equation of a beam can be stated as

EI4u(z,t)z4+ρA2u(z,t)t2=0EI∂4u(z,t)∂z4+ρA∂2u(z,t)∂t2=0

where: EE is the elastic modulus, II is the section area moment, ρρ is the mass density, AA is the section area and u(z,t)u(z,t) is the deformation as a function of position zz and time tt.

In your case,

ρAI=Mx=
0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community