Going Back to Grad School After Being Away from Math

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I graduated with a degree in Math-Computer Science(dual degree) from a college in the US in 2012, and have been working in the Software industry ever since. From 2012 to mid 2014 I was a software engineer and since then, I have been an operations engineer(maintaining servers and stuff).

Even though my degree is Math-CS, most of my major courses and electives are in math and I've been thinking about going back to school to get a master's in some discipline of math. But I worry about whether I'll be able to pick up the material in school after being away from the field for a few years. My question is should I be reviewing materials prior to attending grad school? (Such as calculus/Algebra/Real Analysis(by Rudin) etcetc). Should I know everything undergrad courses cover in Analysis/Algebra before thinking about going to grad school? I realized most syllabuses for grad school application says "One quarter in Analysis, One quarter in Algebra, One quarter in Linear Algebra" or something along that line, but I feel that may not be enough preparation.

If it helps, I am thinking about going to grad school to either do industry work/teach math and not necessarily to do research, so I am not thinking about a PhD at all.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I was undergrad math-physics and did compsci on the side. Afterwards i worked a CS job for 2 years and then applied to a math masters program with a similar goal. Having now completed it, I can say that it should be doable with little prior study (I never had analysis in undergrad) so I never even prepared for it in grad school. Though I prepared nothing outside of Calc 1/2/3 I did make it through, though I will admit that first year was trying as all heck.

If you want a smooth ride, I would strongly recommend an in depth review of Calc 1/2/3. A walkthrough of an undergrad analysis book ( try Rudin / bartle in order of decreasing difficulty) and a good review of linear algebra (Hoffman& Kunze or Strang) and maybe some kind of a review of some differential equations and youll be ahead of or caught up to a majority of the students entering the program.

Good luck, you have a lot of reading ahead of you :)

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community