Good list of books for Year 13 about to apply for a BSc in Mathematics [closed]

Course Queries Syllabus Queries . 2 years ago

0   3   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (3)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm an international student about to go into my last year of high school, and I haven't found many mathematical books that interest me. I'm looking for a mixture of interesting, but respected books, as it's also a way to show my passion for Mathematics in my personal statement. So far I've read Schaum's Theory & Problems with Modern Algebra, and I've started reading the Physics version. I've written papers in Machine Learning which is another field of Mathematics that I enjoy, however, I think something more fundamental might be more insightful. If you had any recommendations for a concise (Not a 378 page proof of 1+1=2) read, or a like STPMD a book that focuses' on problems as well. Thank you.

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I was in your position some years ago so I can pass on what I found great reading. Both are very well known classics but as no one mentioned them..

• Enjoyment of mathematics (Rademacher and Toplitz). Amazing book that includes many vignettes on different parts of mathematics. Totally recommend it. I learnt a lot of mathematics from this little book.
  • Mathematics:it's content,method and meaning (The Russian giants of math i.e Gelfan'd, Kolmogorov, Aleksandrov, etc) This is one of the best books to read in my opinion. I read the first volume while in high school and it was such an amazing experience. It's a compendium (almost encyclopedic) of articles written by experts about the different branches of mathematics. I'm still reading it to this day. I think the notation is a little bit dated but not terribly so.

I think both of these books will give you a nice coverage of mathematical ideas to play with and discover. After that you can very well jump into what interested you the most, for that search here for recommended bibliography or ask a question if none has. Best of luck!

0 views   0 shares

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I was in your position some years ago so I can pass on what I found great reading. Both are very well known classics but as no one mentioned them..

• Enjoyment of mathematics (Rademacher and Toplitz). Amazing book that includes many vignettes on different parts of mathematics. Totally recommend it. I learnt a lot of mathematics from this little book.
  • Mathematics:it's content,method and meaning (The Russian giants of math i.e Gelfan'd, Kolmogorov, Aleksandrov, etc) This is one of the best books to read in my opinion. I read the first volume while in high school and it was such an amazing experience. It's a compendium (almost encyclopedic) of articles written by experts about the different branches of mathematics. I'm still reading it to this day. I think the notation is a little bit dated but not terribly so.

I think both of these books will give you a nice coverage of mathematical ideas to play with and discover. After that you can very well jump into what interested you the most, for that search here for recommended bibliography or ask a question if none has. Best of luck!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community