How are Airbus pilots trained for using the mechanical backup control systems?

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

The A320 and friends have mechanical-only control capability (manual pitch trim + rudder pedals) for cases of total fly-by-wire computer or electrical failure. Obviously, this would be covered in ground school when the various control laws are gone through.

However, is any further training given to line pilots on operating the aircraft this way? Or is it one of those "dusty corner" procedures that you learn about in ground school, but never really touch again?

Alternately, what would the chances be of someone who'd never flown a 'Bus in mechanical/backup law being able to keep the plane dirty-side-down and airborne long enough to get the FBW back going and/or perform a landing where the aircraft is reusable? Clearly, it's non-nil as the Airbus test pilots actually tested flying the plane that way, but how difficult is the aircraft to fly in mechanical/backup law?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

In my particular case:

• I probably did 10 minutes of demonstrating mechanical backup during inital type rating
  • I cannot remember for sure, but it never reappeared in any reccurent sim, and even if I did it was definitelly not part of the syllabus, just something one of us pilots wanted to try.

There are several reasons for that:

• Airbus deffinitelly considers this to be a remote probability. I wonder if anyone ever had to use it for real in flight.
  • There is not much skill involved. You rotate a trim wheel until plane maintains altitude and you push on the rudder to keep (bring back?) wings level
  • The system is there to give minimum control for straight and level flight until the computers/electricity comes back online. It is not intented for the pilot to land (or even maneuver) using this

One important aspect that is often overlooked is that mechanical backup in an Airbus is,well, not mechanical in the sense that people think cables and pulleys. It is a mechanical connection to a hydraulic system that still needs pressure to operate. Losing 3 hyd you will lose mechanical trim.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community