How much does it cost to learn to fly in the UK, and what restrictions are there? Ask Question

Course Queries Syllabus Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Flying has been a dream for me since I was a little boy. My absolute dream career was to be a fighter pilot in the RAF. It's obviously a very hard career to get into, however I fell even before the first hurdle when I found out that I'm colour blind.

Finding out I was colour blind actually closed a lot of potentially enjoyable careers. Police, Armed Forces, Electrical all reject colour blind people.

I'd love to be able to fly, freely in a light aircraft - something like a glider or mosquito helicopter, but I just can't figure out where I need to start. Also, I'm not sure if it's financially viable.

Could someone give me a breakdown of costs and commitments needed?

Also, I'm assuming that being colour blind doesn't automatically mean I'm not able to fly?

Also, I'm in the UK

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

There are a number of ways to 'get in the air'. Peter's mention of gliding is a good one. The requirements to get a glider license are substantially lower than any of the routes to a powered license. However it has obvious restrictions on weather, distance passengers etc. Time spent flying a glider will not count towards your requirements for a powered license if you decide to get one (though obviously many of the skills are transferrable). Gliding is also cheaper than other forms of aviation.

The next easiest way to get into the air is through a microlight permit. That's slightly more regulated than a glider, with slightly higher requirements, but also has restrictions on speed, passengers distance, weather, comfort etc.

The route with the highest requirements to get qualified, and also the highest cost, is the private pilots license. However that will get you the ability to fly an aircraft with a much higher comfort, capability and performance level. It's also opens up the route to more certifications - twin engines, instrument flying, commercial flying and even airlines (technically you can be a commercial glider or microlight pilot, but it's much rarer).

Only you can decide which route you prefer, taking into account all the factors.

The best way to find out about how you could achieve each one is to visit a club or a school where they do each. There are flying clubs or schools at virtually every working airport, and the internet will give you a list of glider or microlight clubs.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community