How to prepare for first year university after college diploma? [closed]

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

This will be my first year attending university after obtaining an advanced diploma from a local college. I will be going into first year Computer Science in September and graduated this year with a diploma for Computer Systems Technology.

I am concerned about the first year courses however. First year Computer Science requires Chemistry 1, Algebra 1, Calculus 1, Discrete Mathematics 1 as well as the comp sci courses. It's been 3 years since I've had to do any higher level math and chemistry and I'm not sure how I'll adapt to the different learning style and intensity of university.

How can I prepare myself for these courses and university over the summer?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

It would be a good idea to Contact the professors of the courses. Usually they are already assigned to the course before it is offered and something you can look up prior to the course starting. They could give you a list of recommended reading/sites to visit or they may simply say you have nothing to worry about.

I too have switched between community colleges, public and private universities and I do understand your worry. While the experience is subject to change based on the individual, I found there to be little I needed to do to change my study habits and achieve the desired grades between all 3 experiences.

Remember it is school where you LEARN. You aren't expected to go in already being a calculus expert or a mad scientist. These are the freshman/sophomore level courses where it is generally assumed little prior knowledge outside of the pre-req basics. Of course some classes also go hard early to weed out students as well and force drop out.

The only other suggestion outside of contacting the school/teacher for materials is seeing if you have the text book for the classes listed already. From my days in college, usually the online forum for the class had a home page that listed off basic syllabus info such as teacher name and course materials needed. If not you can always contact the school/call the uni book store to find out what the names of the books are for those specific classes. You will generally be able to find text books on Amazon and will be significantly cheaper than the uni book store anyways. Thumb through the chapters on your own leisure. That way you can go through the book and write notes down on things that seem to be a struggle topic and do your own focused preparation. Or you may go through all the books and see that you really were worrying for nothing!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community