Tagging convention for problem sets

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 4 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (4)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

We currently use the tags , etc. to categorize questions according to the 2013 version of the course syllabus. However, the syllabus changes from year to year; for example, the 2014 version removes the Game of Fifteen problem set and moves the Breakout problem set from into .

As a result, we need a new tagging convention to categorize questions in a way that will continue to make sense as the syllabus changes.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The goal of any tagging convention is to make categorization and searching as simple and intuitive as possible. My suggestion would be to avoid separating the current, numbered tags out into a distinct set for each syllabus year, as that would only create more complexity. We should expect that most users will be concerned with a single syllabus year only, and make it easy to find the specific problem within a set, even if it means we no longer have a single tag that applies to every problem in a set.

For example,  can currently be used to tag questions about /, a few  and newly introduced concepts like . But as should be obvious here, we have tags for each of these specific elements. I don't see any reason that we need to be able to categorize them all under one umbrella tag like ; in fact, I think we should actively discourage that sort of tagging because questions should be limited to separable topics/concepts in the first place.

So, my suggestion for a new convention would be:

• Remove all numbered "pset" tags and replace them with tags representing specific concepts or problems.
  • If the specification for a problem changes so much that the answers to older questions in that tag would be misleading or wrong when applied to the newer problem specification, create version-specific tags for that problem only. This would be a separate discussion.
  • Tag questions about specific  or  with the appropriate tag, but not a "pset" tag, leaving it up to the asker to make clear in their question exactly which video they're referring to (if necessary).
  • Avoid using tags like ; they're not useful as the only tag on the question, any benefit of following or browsing them would be de minimis and having version-specific tags would make them redundant.

Implementing this as a new convention would mean searching through the "pset" tags for potential orphans and questions that need additional tags. There are about 700 questions altogether in those tags. Manual retagging would take a while, and might not be feasible if we're flooded with new users in January when the next course cycle begins on edX, but given the absence of active moderation on this site it may be our only option.

0 views   0 shares

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The goal of any tagging convention is to make categorization and searching as simple and intuitive as possible. My suggestion would be to avoid separating the current, numbered tags out into a distinct set for each syllabus year, as that would only create more complexity. We should expect that most users will be concerned with a single syllabus year only, and make it easy to find the specific problem within a set, even if it means we no longer have a single tag that applies to every problem in a set.

For example,  can currently be used to tag questions about /, a few  and newly introduced concepts like . But as should be obvious here, we have tags for each of these specific elements. I don't see any reason that we need to be able to categorize them all under one umbrella tag like ; in fact, I think we should actively discourage that sort of tagging because questions should be limited to separable topics/concepts in the first place.

• Remove all numbered "pset" tags and replace them with tags representing specific concepts or problems.
  • If the specification for a problem changes so much that the answers to older questions in that tag would be misleading or wrong when applied to the newer problem specification, create version-specific tags for that problem only. This would be a separate discussion.
  • Tag questions about specific  or  with the appropriate tag, but not a "pset" tag, leaving it up to the asker to make clear in their question exactly which video they're referring to (if necessary).
  • Avoid using tags like ; they're not useful as the only tag on the question, any benefit of following or browsing them would be de minimis and having version-specific tags would make them redundant.

Implementing this as a new convention would mean searching through the "pset" tags for potential orphans and questions that need additional tags. There are about 700 questions altogether in those tags. Manual retagging would take a while, and might not be feasible if we're flooded with new users in January when the next course cycle begins on edX, but given the absence of active moderation on this site it may be our only option.

0 views   0 shares

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community