Version Control with GIT for Tex / Latex Files in One repository or split to sep. repos

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am looking up at setting up version control for my latex documents. I was wondering people's typical setup for this. Do they set it up in there top folder or individual projects. I will be using GIT. Specifically can you start a new project that is in a seperate repo (but the same folder as the original GIT) and then merge it into the master branch easily. This would also be useful.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

My setup is one repository per document (article/thesis/book/presentation). Advantages, with respect to the "one repository to rule them all":

• you can share and sync the individual repositories with the colleagues you are working with. If some of them prefer another version control software, no problem, you use whatever they like.

• you can check out previous versions and work in "detached head" mode without screwing up the rest of your home directory.

• you can use git archive

• you can use tags in a meaningful way

Disadvantages:

• you need a way to handle files that are shared among projects (if there is any). Git subprojects are a mess.

I can't come up with any more disadvantages --- to me, one repo per project is the way git is meant to be used. What arguments do the supporters of the "unified repository" have?

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community