What are healthy, productive ways to encourage students to progress to more advanced constructs as opposed to staying with the familiar?

Course Queries Syllabus Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

In my experience, there are always students who are resistant to moving to more advanced constructs. They want to stay with what they already know. For example, when they are taught arrays, they continue to use individual variables when they are able. When introduced to the foreach loop, they continue to use bounded for loops. When they learn about functions, they resist modularizing their code. After working extensively with arrays, they don’t want to move to using built-in collection types that offer more flexibility and behavior.

It is sometimes difficult to impress upon beginning programmers the usefulness of “new” constructs, because the exercises and programs they are capable of undertaking do not sufficiently demonstrate the power and usefulness of those constructs.

What are ways to encourage beginning programmers to embrace more advanced constructs without penalizing them? I am looking for more "carrot-y" answers than "stick-y".

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I'm afraid that there is no single silver bullet. The problem you've pointed to is very real, and isn't limited to students. All of us tend to stick to our own familiar toolsets because, well, it's easier. We know how to use them already.

Enter the Motivating Example. This mythical thing makes a new topic so useful that the new topic is practically a requirement. Want to motivate recursion? Try having kids determine the file-size of a folder (including its sub-folders). Want to motivate methods? Try giving a main method that calls them, and ask the kids to create the code that will make everything work.

Finding a great, motivating example feels like a search for hidden treasure; it is painful and slow. You're seeking something of great value, and it's hard to know where to look. To make matters worse, a good motivator for one teacher may not work for another, because what makes a motivating example work is intricately tied into both the broader curriculum and what sorts of things the teacher emphasizes within the classroom.

And once found, they are indeed treasures! Clean, motivating examples make the value of a topic immediately apparent to students. Resistance melts away, and is replaced by enthusiasm for the new tool that is now making their life easy.

Sometimes I spend weeks trying to find a good motivator. I've found that teacher communities (such as this very one!) can be great sources of inspiration for them, as can algorithms books. Or, as Kevinpointed out in a comment (before it was deleted):

As far as finding motivation is concerned, it may be helpful to look into the history of the construct. For example, foreach used to be called "the iterator pattern," and even appears in the GoF book under that name, before there even was a foreach loop. So foreach isn't about simplifying the code so much as it is about abstracting away the implementation details of "get the size of the container" and "get the nth element" into a single opaque accessor. That suggests that a motivating example might begin by introducing trees, showing traversal code, and then contrasting it with an array.

Even with all of these tools, there are no easy guarantees. I sometimes have to simply wait for my "Eureka!" moment, and teach the best I can in the meantime.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community