What do you need to know to fly a Cessna? [closed]

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I've almost finished ground school and am about to start flight training. I'd like to show up fully prepared, so am compiling a list of things I'll need to know to fly a C150.

I was hoping someone knowledgeable could point out anything I've missed. One point specifically is checklists: I read a good article once by a military pilot who argued for completing all procedures from memory, then checking them using the checklist (hence the name checklist). Is this a controversial approach?

The things I think I should know on day 1 are:

1. Vso, Vs, Vfe, Va, Vno, Vne; Vr, Vx, Vy
  2. Procedures: Walk-around, pre-flight, emergency procedures, pre-landing
  3. Airport: Taxiway layout, communications
  4. Skills: Taxi, takeoff, turns, mushing, landing

Any other tips on how to best prepare myself before getting in the cockpit would be welcome.

Thank you.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You're on the right track, but let your instructor guide you along the path of righteousness or you'll end up thinking about all the stuff rattling around in your head instead of listening to what they're telling you while they're trying to show you how to fly. Day 1 is largely just familiarization - you're not going to need to know all that detail. They'll have a syllabus that will include everything you need to know, and they should be able to guide you on what'll be good to focus on for the upcoming lessons. The private pilot practical test standards are a great preview of what will (eventually) be expected, and if your ground school works you should be through the written and aware of any weak academic areas soon enough to correct any knowledge deficiencies that may bear on your flight training. Definitely read the POH cover to cover so you know what's in there (but you don't have to memorize it all!), and ask your instructor about anything that doesn't make sense. Listening to the tower on a handheld or through LiveATC.net may be useful (you'll find they're probably doing the same thing over and over and over) to understand what to expect, and the Aeronautical Information Manual is full of useful information that may go beyond what was specifically covered in ground school or on the written. ATIS and/or ASOS/AWOS broadcasts are usually available on the phone, so listen to them until you "get" it all. That should save time in the airplane.

The instructor should also cover checklist procedures, and will know what local examiners expect you to do to pass.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community