What is the value of vendor specific security certs vs. general ones?

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Let me preface my question by saying that I understand that experience is generally more valuable than certifications when it comes to the IT profession.

Having said that, are vendor specific security certifications, such as Cisco's CCNA & CCNP Security routes, looked at similarly when compared to more general ones such as CISSP and Security+? i.e. a security cert is a security cert? Or do employers look at something from Cisco, MS, et al. as too focused and not really adding value to the candidate, especially if they do not use that vendor's equipment?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Adding to the already great answers - which are all some variant of "it depends"... the "it depends" includes:

• From Lucas Kauffman - it depends on your role - many certificationes depend on the role you're applying for. Some certifications apply to specific types of security roles.

• From Eric - it's also the needs of an organization - a Cisco shop wants Cisco certs and so forth.

From me - there's also the business model of the company - these days, for example, the US defense industry requires a certain number of certified engineers for the bidding of certain proposals. So hiring (especailly at a senior level) individuals with those certs is a major bonus. In this case, it's not the nature of the work OR the role, necesarily, but a created context to show the customer the company's qualifications. I can imagine other consulting type businesses with a similar focus.

I'll even go so far as to say that when I'm reviewing a candidate's resume, I'll check whether the applicant is what I think of as a certificate "junkie". Since I often have weird teams that need to be very flexible, no one certification really does it for me... but I like to see that the person I'm talking to takes an active role in self-education and improvement. Seeing 1 certificate or similar education effort every 3 years is a good indicator. Seeing a set of alphabet soup long enough to write a novel with makes me wonder if the guy spends any time working! Usually I verify and follow up to see if there was a work context for such a thing - like a consulting role where the more certs the better...so the guy was funded to go nuts with self-study in the off season between consulting gigs.

I'll also ask "why this cert?" in the interview. Bad Answer: "Because I thought it was good to get a certificate, and everyone said this one was good for getting a new job." Good Answer: "Because the syllabus included X topic, a point I wished to know more about or thought might be a weak point in my current skill set... where I was looking to make a transition to < a role like yours > I figured I might need that." Note - whether or not the candidate is right about the needs of the role doesn't matter much to me... more that he was looking at what he really needed to supplement a weak point, and that he had a plan for growth. Bonus points either way - extra major bonus points if he's actually right about the role. :)

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community