create a cronjob to run PHP script

General Tech Bugs & Fixes 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Bugs & Fixes related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I've created a cronjob in Xubuntu to run a PHP script in every 5 minutes. I did it as follows.

I entered the following command:

$ crontab -e

Then entered the following:

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/pgrouting/workshop/web/php/calculation.php

I don't understand what is use of /usr/bin/php and there is no such a file in bin directory, but the PHP script won't run?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The "problem" is typically PHP is intended to run as module in a webserver. You may need to install the commandline version of php before you can run php scripts from the commandline:

apt-get install php5-cli

/usr/bin/php is default location for the php binary to be placed, but if you for instance compile php from source it may be somewhere else.

Typically PHP scripts aren't formatted as shell scripts, so you need to tell cron which interpreter should be used to execute the php script; that's the reason to use the commandline /usr/bin/php /var/www/pgrouting/workshop/web/php/calculation.php.

You could format you script with the shebang and make it executable (chmod +x script.php) and then you can call it directly from the commandline, without specifying php as the interpreter ( i.e. ./script.php) :

#!/usr/bin/php

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community