How to log php error in a separate file?

General Tech Bugs & Fixes 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Bugs & Fixes related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I just did an upgrade of my server to Fedora 17 and merged some configuration files containing .rpmnew into the existing ones. I have been successfully logging my php errors in a separate log file by keeping the following in php.ini:

log_errors">errors = On
error_log = /var/log/php-errors">errors.log

I am not sure why the errors are being logged to /var/log/httpd/error_log after the upgrade despite keeping the settings above.

Also,

$ ls -l /var/log/php-errors">errors.log
-rwxrwxr--. 1 apache myself 232 Dec 13 16:49 /var/log/php-errors">errors.log

shows that apache did own the php error log file.

What could be causing PHP errors">errors to be logged into apache error log file?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I think that here it's just the generic Apache errors that are seen in /var/log/httpd/error_log.

I would insert a call to error_log('test'); into some PHP logic that is known to get interpreted when some specific page is refreshed, and if that's not seen in /var/log/php-errors.log then I'd suspect that the versions upgraded to have some kind of a different config or permissions scheme that made the old config stop working.

I'd recommend going through the 'Error handling and logging' section in /etc/php/php.ini, and checking for proper values for other directives. The directive error_reporting should be set to E_ALL or E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT. The directive log_errors should be On.

If just a filename (but no path) is specified for error_log, then the file will appear in the same directory as the PHP script that calls error_log(...).

I'd also recommend specifying /tmp/php_error_log for error_log, refreshing the page, and then ls /tmp to see if the file is there.

If the file is not there, login as root, and do a search for the file name across the whole file system so see where it ended up.

Generally, the proper config to get PHP error log working in a particular directory changes across different versions of Apache, PHP, and various distros.

I can say that on Arch Linux with Apache 2.4, PHP 5.5.11 and systemd version 212-1 the config above will make the PHP error log end up somewhere similar to /tmp/systemd-private-65d4c3e3cc534155bcf3ec708c2362f6-httpd.service-h8MSsD/tmp/php_error_log.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community