24, Bachelors Degree, No Work Experience. [closed]

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I hope to obtain some advice on this forum in regards to a conundrum I have developed for myself.

I have recently turned 24 years old, and have yet to gain any sort of work experience. I have NEVER worked a job in my life (That is right, nothing.). I know NOW (looking back), that I should have taken a summer job, or perhaps worked on campus (or off) during my tenure at the University, or even attempted to get a job while in High School. However, the fact remains, that I have absolutely no work experience.

I live in a small town of 900 people. The largest City within an hours drive, only had around 30,000 people (and shrinking). The majority of corporations within that city are moving out (such as Genpact, that is officially moving shop within the next month or two). Even the Mall of that City, has 3 vacancies for every shop. Simply put, its not the BEST place to find work.

My graduation from College was exactly 9 months ago (Which I received my BA in Social Science). I had no choice but to move back in with my family (due to having maybe $200 to my name, owning no car, having no one to move in with.. WHICH I did attempt to talk one of my friends into rooming together). ^ In relation to my lack of automobile, I can borrow my families when I find work.. SO that should not be a problem.

I applied to everything from Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Calling Centers. I even attempted to work with a temp agency (Trillium) to find some sort of work, but to no avail. It was quite a depressing issue. I got so worn out trying to find work, that I decided to take the holidays off (which turned into an extended leave, due to having to drive my brother back and forth to school, due to my mom getting work with that SAME temp agency).

Long story short.. I need some advice on this... being that im 24, no work experience, bachelors degree, in a small area, with little to no possibility of moving out... O.o. Who would be willing to accept someone with my issues?

My grandmother has pushed me towards Substitute teaching (I can not legally teach, due to my Degree not being an "Education" degree.. sadly that was the original reason I went to college.. before I decided to change it after my 1st year). I CAN substitute teach, however.

Would it be realistic to get a job waiting tables?? Or am I too "overqualified" for that (Which was a word, a lady at Trillium used to describe my predicament, claiming that many employers would be unwilling to get me a chance, knowing I would leave for a better opportunity). I want to stay completely away from temp agencies (I have seen firsthand the nightmare my mother has gone through).

Where should I start? What should I do? I am at a total loss (YES I know I screwed up in college.. there is no need to discuss that. lets keep to the issue at hand).

Any advice will be helpful! Thank You. (But please try to take into consideration I don't live near a big city, and there is a MASS exodus of people. I however do not have the funds to leave).

Also, I think it might be helpful if someone can teach me how to construct my resume more effectively, with the lack of Job Experience. I should add that I have volunteered for socializing animals (more or less you come in and you pet them, and spend time with them). I also took part in a homeless week at school (more or less you spend an entire week living outside of your dorm, as a homeless person, collecting food and money for the local homeless shelter).

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. As you could imagine, at 24 (living with my grandparents/mom/littlebro) I feel absolutely stuck in a hole.. and after months of trying and failing I feel absolutely humiliated. I haven't even gotten to the interview stage yet.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You have mentioned that you have participated in volunteer programs. I agree with @Jeanne's suggestion regarding volunteering. You should volunteer more while you hunt for jobs. Employers would be interested in learning that you kept yourselves engaged while you were hunting for jobs.

Some great places to volunteer with a Social Sciences degree include your local library (in the city where I currently reside, I have seen volunteers teach senior citizens some computer literacy). National Parks, State parks have camping sites where they need volunteers to take care of the camp entrance at nights (volunteers are responsible for printing receipts/provide directions/maintain camp bookings etc). Local animal shelters need volunteers to take care of rescuing animals from sites.

I suggest that you divide your day's time into three slots. Look for jobs for a dedicated amount of time through different job search websites, volunteer as well as brush up your skills (learn a new tool that would aid finding a job). Leave no stone unturned (I used to look for jobs on craigslist regularly). You have to be as aggressive as possible. Network with people and do not miss out on ads at the local library.

Never give up!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community