As a composer, should I be composing music for an instrument I don't play?

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I wanted to know if composing music for a specific instrument demands that you know how to at least play the instrument. I'm sure if you know how the instrument sounds by itself as well as within an orchestral setting that's enough. As a composer, should I be learning new instruments I want to compose for or that I will be composing a lot for? I feel like learning how to play an instrument should only be done if you would enjoy playing that instrument regardless of whether you compose for it or not? As a composer, it seems silly to force yourself to learn an instrument just because you think you can get a more intimate feel for the instrument in doing so.

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

As a composer, you mostly end up writing for instruments that you yourself don't play. Apart from Hindemith, it is fairly impossible to maintain a high level of proficiency on every instrument - there just isn't that much time and it is not feasible.

However, that does not excuse having a working knowledge of the instrument. Though it might seem silly to you, learning the rudiments of each instrument is hugely beneficial to aiding your writing. By physically working with each instrument, you gain insight into things that it does / doesn't do well, sounds it makes / doesn't make, and considerations specific to performers (such as allowing enough time for mute changes or picking up mallets.)

Even if you just squawk your way through Book 1 of each instrument, you will thank yourself many times over for your personal investment. I speak from personal experience. It was easy for me since all of the instrumental pedagogy courses were built into my degree, so by the nature of what I did I ended up learning how to play all of the instruments on a rudimentary level. This knowledge has greatly informed my writing - not only writing idiomatically but also with phrasing, texture, and orchestration as well.

It is perfectly acceptable to write music for an instrument that you don't know how to play - all that matters is that you know how to write intelligently for the instrument, how the instrument behaves, and how to make it sound good. It is instantly apparent when a composer does not know how to write for a given instrument, and all that does is make the composer look very novice - since they in fact are.

It is not enough to understand how an instrument functions soloistically or within an orchestra - it is also paramount to understand how that instrument functions in chamber settings, in choral settings, and with different families of instruments. I would write for two clarinets very differently than I would write for clarinet and trombone duet.

As a composer, you have nothing to lose by learning how to play an instrument - if for no other reason than doing so will help make you an informed composer and therefore make your music better. Wouldn't you want to write better music?

That said, I realize that it is not always feasible to do so (though it is quite affordable to rent an instrument for a month or two with a method book.) But in addition to learning what you can, I would highly suggest studying texts on orchestration. Walter Piston, Alfred Blatter, and Samuel Adler have all put out excellent texts on the subject. In addition, I would also highly, highly recommend that you talk to people who play the instruments for which you're writing. They've already put in all of the time learning the instrument and can offer invaluable insight. You can have them play through sketches and determine what works / what doesn't work. In addition, it serves as a great resource for networking, which is crucial for getting things performed.

For composers, getting things performed is the bottom line.

Hope that helps.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community