IDE vs Editor and terminal for CS1

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am involved in the teaching of CS1 and CS2 at the University of Oslo. We have recently transitioned from Java to Python as our introductory language. We have a strong tradition of teaching students how to use text editors and the terminal to write and run programs, in a Unix environment at our university. Recently, however, a discussion among the teaching staff has arisen about whether or not to transition to using an IDE for the teaching of first-year programming.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this matter? What are the pros and what are the cons of moving to an IDE-first approach, rather than sticking with editor+terminal?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

TL;DR Those two aren't your only options.

The main concern is cognitive load: learning to program is difficult enough without adding incidental complexity.

We've seen an explosion of hybrids in the last few years with good cross-platform support: Sublime, Atom, VSCode, etc. And while you couldn't pry vim out of my cold dead hands, learning it is easy if you already know programming but would be a nightmare if you had to learn it and programming at the same time. Ditto for emacs.

And that also applies to IDEs like Eclipse and Visual Studio. They have their own way of doing things. They take forever to open. They are user configurable but not easily. I'll never forget the first time I opened XCode and basically said "what the hell is all of this?"

Have your students download atom which works reasonably well out of the box with a healthy plug-in community for growth. It's scriptable in JavaScript and themeable with CSS. Unlike notepad it gives you features you actually need to program, unlike nano it uses standard keyboard shortcuts they'll already know from e.g. MS Word (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-S, etc). And unlike VS/Xcode/Eclipse it doesn't obscure what you're doing: editing text files.

Edit

Can't believe I forgot to mention this but...

They more or less made us use Komodo Edit (free version of the Komodo 'IDE') in my first programming class, which is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about and I think it really helped. Simple, no configuration necessary, things that should be easy were easy, etc. Don't know if they still offer it or not but I'd say Atom or VSCode arn better along just about every conceivable metric.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community