Is dictating a score from memory a good way to test if the piece is memorized?

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

My RCM ARCT Performer's Piano exam is one week away, and at my last lesson I had trouble memorizing Mozart's Sonata in B-flat major (K 333). As you may know, memorization is compulsory for the ARCT exam. But my teacher told me I keep getting notes wrong, having poor phrasing, missing out on dynamics, and the such. At this rate, I would not get a passing grade on this piece and in turn the rest of the exam. (I paid $700 to register and I don't want all of it to go down the drain!)

So for the past few days I have been reading through the score, in particular the places my teacher has circled because of mistakes. Yesterday, though, my mother brought up a suggestion to help me memorize the piece: dictating the music from memory by writing it note by note on a blank score. This is somewhat like dictation when I took Chinese language lessons (writing down a word when it is spoken by someone else), which my mom has done with me many times over the course of my piano studies. She believes that by having me copy the score from memory and comparing my version with the original, she would be able to identify the parts where I have trouble memorizing and have me emphasize my practices on those parts.

That being said, has anybody tried this suggestion and/or does anybody find it a good way to help me memorize everything in time for next week's exam? Will it actually do any good in preparing me or will it just be a stem for more havoc when it comes to exam time?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

When I need to memorize some music, I just practice without looking into the scores. If you don't remember the next phrase - look it up and start again.

You can also try to remember it by parts (e.g. memorize the first part, then the second, then try to play them both).

As of your question - I've never heard of people memorizing music by dictating it. It works with words/poems though, so why shouldn't it work with music scores.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community