Qt splitting data structure into groups

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I have a problem I'm trying to solve but I'm at a stand still due to the fact that I'm in the process of learning Qt, which in turn is causing doubts as to what's the 'Qt' way of solving the problem. Whilst being the most efficient in term of time complexity. So I read a file line by line ( file qty ranging between 10-2000,000). At the moment my approach is to dump ever line to a QVector.

Qvector <QString> lines;
lines.append("id,name,type");
lines.append("1,James,A");
lines.append("2,Mark,B");
lines.append("3,Ryan,A");

Assuming the above structure I would like to give the user with three views that present the data based on the type field. The data is comma delimited in its original form. My question is what's the most elegant and possibly efficient way to achieve this ?

Note: For visual aid , the end result kind of emulates Microsoft access. So there will be the list of tables on the left side.In my case these table names will be the value of the grouping field (A,B). And when I switch between those two list items the central view (a table) will refill to contain the particular groups data.

Should I split the data into x amount of structures ? Or would that cause unnecessary overhead ?

Would really appreciate any help

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

In the end, you'll want to have some sort of a data model that implements QAbstractItemModel that exposes the data, and one or more views connected to it to display it.

If the data doesn't have to be editable, you could implement a custom table model derived from QAbstractTableModel that maps the file in memory (using QFile::map), and incrementally parses it on the fly (implement canFetchMore and fetchMore).

If the data is to be editable, you might be best off throwing it all into a temporary sqlite table as you parse the file, attaching a QSqlTableModel to it, and attaching some views to it.

When the user wants to save the changes, you simply iterate over the model and dump it out to a text file.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community