What is the best keyboard/mouse click action for zooming in on a globe?

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools 2 years ago

0 1 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (1)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm working on a usability study of an interface that shows a globe. You're currently able to click, hold, and drag the globe to move it around (i.e. view the other side of Earth). In testing, I've found users can do this intuitively just fine.

You're also able to zoom in, but to do so, you need to "Ctrl + left click and drag, or right click and drag." Users utterly failed at figuring out how to do this in testing, even when presented with written instructions on the screen. (It's also terribly trackpad unfriendly.)

So, my question is, has there been any research into the best practices or the best keyboard/mouse combos for how to zoom? My initial guess would be to model it off of Google Maps (and allow for double clicking, using the scrolly wheel, and having visible +/- buttons), since a good number of people are familiar with that app, but I'd prefer to point to something more academically based.

Also, note that this is not a web app; it's standalone downloadable software.

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community