Unit Testing of private methods in Xcode

General Tech QA/Testing 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on QA/Testing related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm trying out test driven development in a toy project. I can get the tests working for the public interface to my classes (although I'm still on the fence because I'm writing more testing code than there is in the methods being tested).

I tend to use a lot of private methods becuase I like to keep the public interfaces clean; however, I'd still like to use tests on these methods.

Since Cocoa is a dynamic language, I can still call these private methods, but i get warnings in my tests that my class may not respond to these methods (although it clearly does). Since I like to compile with no warnings here are my questions:

1. How do i turn off these warnings in Xcode?
  2. Is there something else I could do to turn off these warnings?
  3. Am I doing something wrong in trying 'white box' testing?
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

How do i turn off these warnings in Xcode?

Don't.

Is there something else I could do to turn off these warnings?

Don't.

Am I doing something wrong in trying 'white box' testing?

No.

The solution is to move your private methods to a category in its own header. Import this header into both the real class and test-case class implementation files.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community