1 Month barely have done any work (System Engineer) [closed]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I was hired about 30 days ago by the COO who's recruiter is a "friend" of his. I also interviewed with the VP and Director of IT who I directory report to. After waiting an unusual month and a half they finally gave me a start date.

It has to be very obvious that I barely being put to any use. I have been given micro tasks by the VP and not only immediately came back with scripted solutions, I have even solved security issues that no-one can figure out. The problem seems to be here that the CTO pushes back on giving me production access, or installing any development tools. To make this company even more odd, the development team that works offshore for us, He is the CEO of. To be clear, during the interview the CTO did tell me this is not a position for development in their primary system. The VP and COO said they have a lot of other systems that have technical debt on top of a technical need for local support of how the main systems works from a technical perspective.

I literally sit here. Some of you would say i am sure to try to be pro-active and ask questions or talk to HR. First of all again its obvious to my manager I am not being used and to the co-workers around me. Second, there is no HR, at least not until last week did they finally fill that position.

I took this job because I could not stand the commute of 1 hour plus a day, of 10 hours of hard work a day. I now have a 5 minute commute of absolutely no work a day and its driving me insane as I would like to be productive.

The company making money and moving forward, Is it growing They are busy, and I am getting paid

Is it a small to midsize company in its growth post start up phase in the USA, my department there are about 7 people.

I am using my office time to keep up on technologies that are relevant to the position.The co-workers are just working and making regular conversation with me. I have asked them to please let me know if there are any tasks they have that I could take off of their hands.

My contract (full time) is full of vague IT related responsibilities and is very vague but all of what i would suspect for a System/Software Engineer

What should I do here?

P.S. I would really like to make it work here. Another job move would look horrible on my resume. The company and people are very nice here personally. I really should not make another move until at least 3 months and do not want to start any bees nest and find myself out of employment.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You're seen as a potential threat by the CTO and therefore are being left out. However you're being paid which is pretty important and your job would be viewed as ideal by a lot of people and you were told at the start that you wouldn't be working on their primary system.

Basically you have a support role but nothing much has come up requiring support, so you don't have many choices and you haven't been deceived.

If the job is a bad fit then job hunt, you seem to still be on probationary period, this is one of the reasons there is one.

Personally it has only been a month, I'd do whatever I could find and fill the time educating myself on how the business works and looking for potential tweaks I could make in my field. I have had jobs where support was hardly ever needed, but when it was it was critical. Many jobs can be like that in many industries. Think airport firecrew, once every five years they may have an emergency, the rest of the time training, upskilling etc,.

Most likely they are still finalising what tasks to give you, it would be rare outside of govt to employ a person to do nothing in your position. So just keep mentioning you are short of work.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community