Expecting too much from me after maternity leave [closed]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I started at the company as a junior game dev so I did QA and old legacy games. I did that for about a year. I thought it was an appropriate level for a fresh grad just out of university. I went on mat leave for 3 months after working there for about a year. The manager at that time was happy with my work so he gave me a 10% raise when I came back to work.

While I was on leave the manager became the CEO and he hired a new guy to oversee the devs. They also had to fire one of their clients and get a bunch of new ones.

When I came back boy did the work environment really change from before. The new manager also gave me 2 new games and expected me to complete them both in 4 months including QA and delivery! Qa was no longer my duty. He is always focusing on 'discipline' and squeezing the last drop of effort out of me every week to the point where I am burnt out and exhausted. This is not good for me as I have a baby at home. I cry and lash out at my family.

I'm in Canada by the way. I have brought this up with both management and HR and nothing has been done yet. It's been a few weeks. It's affecting my personal life a lot - I am miserable. HR said the company values work-life balance and not to do overtime but that seems to just be a theory for the new manager.

I cannot just quit and walk out the door because I can't afford to and also we have planned a 2-week holiday for June and we need the money for the trip as well. I can't handle the pressure and extreme deadlines. I asked them if they are trying to get me to quit and they said no. I want my old job and responsibilities back. It was much easier. I told them I am willing to take a pay cut too. Now that I have a family I don't want a huge, high-flying, rapid-progression career but just to coast for a while at an OK salary.

How would you deal with this situation?

What would be a reason that they would treat me like this after my leave?

Should I bring it up with the old manager?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Family responsibilities and working for a game development shop don't mix. Find another job and get out. If you don't believe me, take a straw poll and figure out how many people have kids. That'll tell you. In many VC-backed startups and game development shops there is a tacit expectation that you'll be working 60+ hours a week, and the people who work in such places deliberately avoid, shirk, or delegate family responsibilities.

Your company has changed direction and working style since you left. It is not the same company as far as you're concerned. You could go to management or HR and talk it out, but it won't change the direction of the company.

There are lots of software companies which have higher profit margins, steady business, and development teams comprising people with family responsibilities. That would probably be a better fit for you.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community