How can I request accomodation for chronic illness?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm asking this question using a pseudonym to protect my privacy.

I have been suffering for a number of years from a sort of medical condition that wreaks havoc upon my sleep/wake routine. After being checked for a number of different illnesses over the years, the doctor thinks that I suffer from a pituitary disorder, but I don't have a formal diagnosis. If I'm not mistaken, this is a somewhat rare illness.

This illness causes a number of symptoms, but by far, the worst is that sometimes I can't sleep well at night and suffer constant drowsiness and fatigue; when I do sleep well at night, I still tend to suffer drowsiness and fatigue, but not to the same extent. I see my doctor regularly and take my medications every day, but so far, I still must manage debilitating symptoms, sometimes on a daily basis.

I spite of this, I am a talented, passionate software developer. I love working on the computer and solving problems for a living.

Up until now, I have managed this problem by hiding it from my employers and doing my best in spite of it. However, I feel that I could be a better developer, not to mention a happier one, if I could have my condition acknowledged and appropriate accommodations made.

Here are some accomodations I think I might like to have:

1) I would like a well-lit work area. I especially tend to fall asleep in the dark. However, I've been told that I absolutely must share work space with co-workers who absolutely insist that all lights must be off and all window blinds down.

2) I would like to be able to telework odd hours occasionally. The reason is that sometimes I wake at odd hours of the morning and feel extreme drowsiness during the work day. If I were allowed to telework, I could do my work when I'm awake.

3) I would like to have a couch or small bed in my work area where I have the option to lie down on when extreme bouts of fatigue and drowsiness happen. I can hardly imagine management consenting to this and I think it would cause jealosy amongst my co-workers.

I believe I can very well forget being accomodated in my current environment, especially given that I've been here for years quietly concealing my illness.

I'm thinking of taking up a new job at a new company. I think it would to inform them that yes, I am a talented and passionate software developer, but I do have a medical condition and I would like to have appropriate accomodations made for me to perform at my best.

How might I go about doing this?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

It might be best (and easiest) to start fresh with a new company that will be willing to make the accommodations you need. The point you brought up that you've been there for years concealing this issue will cause some issues in requesting accommodations. Many people would make the assumption "if they were fine up until now, they'll be fine moving forward, why make any changes?" and you will have to build a case with evidence of how this affects your work output.

I've got chronic back pain due to scoliosis, which is an invisible issue much like fatigue, I was working at a place where my boss was sceptical of my situation, and was very visibly becoming spiteful of my need to work from home. I quit and started looking for a new job and I was very clear in the next interview that I need to be able to work from home as required, and that I am flexible for my work hours, meaning if I cant make it in the morning, I will work evenings etc. Having doctors notes and reports to support this is great, but not required if you're honest and communicate your needs properly. If you really are a talented and passionate software developer, then most places will be more than happy to make the accommodations if expectations are set up front. Happy developers == good product.

I asked a question here last week about how to present my disability in a way that wouldn't make my peers resent my work arrangement. The answers I got back included that communication is key - tell your co-workers about your issue and how you feel and ask the people around you if they wouldn't mind you having a lamp or light source at your work station.

Sleeping at work isn't the best solution, even for fatigue, and if you're working at home you have to be available for your co-workers to contact you. Its a tough situation to be sure. I've found those artificial sunlight desk lamps to be very effective, and they aren't too disturbing to other people in the room because its focused light. Best of luck to you!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community