How should you negotiate salary during the hiring process AFTER a long career gap?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I had to take a 3 year career break to deal with a long running family commitment and I am now returning to my normal career and applying for jobs. How should I answer the usual question of "What salary are you expecting?". It could come up either on application forms or in-person at interview.

I am applying for senior software engineer roles and I am quite rusty after 3 years out of the field. I was very good at what I did previously and I don't doubt my ability to eventually get back up to speed again but I am going to be rusty for a while.

I'm not sure if its wisest for me to:

1. Ignore the career gap and just submit the going rate for people with my years of experience as if there was no career gap.
  2. Propose a lowball number to get my foot in the door, in which case what % below the normal rate should I use? But my experience in the past is whatever salary you start at then limits future pay rises - I can remember managers saying "we are only allowed to give x% increase on your current salary". So once I got up to speed again, I'd have to move on I think.
  3. Politely refuse to answer and tell the employer to propose a number (I could say that at interview but how to answer the question on an application form?)

Or any other advice?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Never low-ball yourself unless you're in an extraordinary position. I had to do it after my stroke to get back to being employed. Again, mine was an extreme example, and I only did it for my first job after my illness to establish a work history again. I was out of work for a much longer time as well.

After a gap, low-balling yourself sends a message to employers that you are either desperate, or your skills aren't up to date, or that there is something about you that makes you worth less.

Option 3 is the best approach unless you have to put an amount down. If that is the case, give a range around the average. salary.com will give you the range for someone with your experience.

If pressed to explain the gap, explain that it was a family commitment and then talk about how you kept your skills fresh during the gap. De-emphasise being rusty. I've been there and it only took me about a week to get back to speed after being gone for over 5 years.

You may have forgotten some syntax and details, but your methods and skills never rot.

Be confident and go in like you deserve to be paid at least the average for your field, and you'll get the job. If they hold the gap against you, then you've just screened out a bad employer.

The demand for IT people is fairly high right now, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community