How to tactfully negotiate salary above market price for software internships?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

The typical market price for software engineering interns in my city is 22-25$/hour. In more tech-centered cities, I received referrals from current employees for positions that pay between 45-60$/hour, with 6k-9k housing stipends and addition perks.

Money isn't everything to me however and they are a few companies in my city I would like to work for despite having lesser perks. This being said, 30-35$/h is my ideal range which I believe is fair and better reflects my level of experience.

I realize that several companies have caps for intern salaries and my ideal range is potentially exceeding it, so I'm wondering what might be the best way to approach this topic with potential employers. For example, should I be upfront and mention my expectations at the interview stage, or wait for an offer and then negotiate? Should I bother to negotiate if my range exceed their caps or should I simply politely walk away? In sum, how should I approach this topic to better maximize my chances of success?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Don't talk about money upfront, discuss with them and see if your potential employeer has a good company culture. See if you "connect" and if you'd actually like working with them. When they also realize you would be a good fit, you can start negotiating. If they say something like 22-25$/hour but your minimum is, let's say 45$/hour, try with higher numbers and see how they react. If they won't be able to pay you this amount, they won't, but if they're trying to pay you less and realize they would be ok paying you more, they will call you back, or at least place a final offer. The important is that you are firm in what you say and don't turn around it too much, so that they understand you're not trying to get more than you deserve, but you have better opportunities already.

Please keep in mind also that if in another city they pay more it could very well be because the standard of living is higher, thus it will cost more to live there. Being paid more doesn't necessarily mean that your spending power stays the same. Another city, another reality.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community