HR is asking for verification of a degree I lied about. What can I do? [duplicate]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

This question already has an answer here:

I was given a job offer, I signed the offer and was given a start date. This position, I never applied for it, instead I was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter asked on the first call if I had a BA I told her yes, but really the truth is I ran out of money during my senior year of href="https://forum.tuteehub.com/tag/college">college and couldn't afford to finish. My mother was ill and I ended up relocating to help her out and never finished. This was nearly 12 years ago. Not finishing school has always bothered me however I've always felt like I had a degree because I had got so far in my education. Fast forward to this opportunity, I completed everything and then HR asked me the verify my degree. I don't know what I should do, they will be checking my education. Should I just tell them the circumstance surrounding not finishing or just decline the offer. I feel terrible that I wasn't 100 percent honest. Please help!

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Phone the manager of your new position. Explain to him/her exactly what's happened. Don't make excuses - he/she probably won't care that your mother was sick 12 years ago. Just tell him/her that you don't have the degree, and that it appeared on your CV as the result of a misunderstanding with the recruiter.

It's possible that the manager doesn't care whether you have a degree. It's also possible that the company will help you finish your degree - they might give you time off to study, and they might even subsidise your tuition. Or it's possible that the manager won't want you to work for him/her - either because of the lie, or because he/she needs you to have the degree. But you won't know until you talk to him/her.

If the manager endorses your employment despite your not having the degree, then HR will accept this.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community