Is it reasonable to ask a potential employer for samples of their code and/or employee contact information, to determine if I want to work there?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm currently looking for a new job as a developer. There are two things that companies usually require that bother me a lot: long programming assignments and reference checks. There are plenty of questions about both things in this site.

There are other things that bother me even more: after doing such a process, finding out that the code or system I'm going to be working with is a disaster, or the company itself is.

So I've started trying, with no success (and no surprise) at all, asking the companies in return:

1. Some code of their own. I'm aware it's confidential, but just any, any small piece of code they're usually working with.
  2. Former and/or current employees contact information, so that I can ask "hey, did/do you enjoy working there?" Also confidential, but just the same as the contact information they require from my references. I can read reviews on Glassdoor, but I don't put much trust on that.

One of the companies said that what I'm asking (2-3 people's contact information, they'd asked for 6) is unreasonable. Is it? I acknowledge they have the right to do all they consider necessary to get the best people on board. Can't I do the same?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

There are some already good answers here, but to add my own thought. Has it occurred to you that their assessment of you is your opportunity to assess them?

Let me give you two different examples all based off real experiences I've had:

1. I spent 15+ hours working at home on a programming assignment for a company, their response came back via a recruiter but basically fell into the category "you didn't have to use X for that" and "you didn't need to do that". No discussion, no phone call.
  2. A second company brought me in for an interview and gave me a list of instructions on a piece of paper and a laptop. It was a very simply TDD programming challenge. The two interviewers sat in the room with me an chatted as I completed the challenge, we discussed the pros and cons of NUnit over MSTest and how you can overcome the disadvantage of poor test naming by using the NUnit Name property on the attribute.

Guess which company I wanted to work for?

While you're in an interview it's VERY important to impress the interviewers, but look for clues. Listen to their feedback on these challenges, if it's collaborative and you have a friendly chat then that's how they company operates. If it's a "not good enough" then you probably don't fit into their mold.

They WANT you to be the candidate (believe me, they've already seen enough bad ones). But company's often forget that you want them to be the company. Look for clues about what the company is like from the interview process itself!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community