Renewing contract/employment, when should you ask for a raise

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm currently working as a programming and developement coop student for a large FI in Canada. At the end of the month my contract will end and I will be 're-hired' as a part time employee while I finish my degree.

When should I ask for a raise?

For example:

• Right away
  • When deciding the new work schedule
  • When the official offer is presented (counter offer)

For this question to help as many as possible please assume that I do deserve the raise.

Im currently between examples two and three, we have a rough schedule, and Im waiting on documents from HR. Should I run over to my boss and ask now before the documents can be finalized? Or wait and counter offer?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Certainly the explicit renegotiation should be part of the new contract negotiations, prior to agreeing to the contract. However, you should take steps to ensure that both your request is not a surprise to them, and that you fully understand the financial terms of the employment arrangement.

In particular, if you were a contractor before and not an employee, do not be surprised if the employee rate is actually lower than the contractor (as the benefits/taxes may be higher for a full employee, even part time). (Note, this is true in the US, not sure about Canada.)

Either way, you should do what you can to ensure both you and your boss know what the other expects in an informal environment before you get to a formal negotiation, especially if that negotiation is with a HR recruiter rather than your direct boss. In addition to not surprising him/her, you also give your boss a chance to make sure the budget has room for your salary increase.

On your end, perhaps prior to talking to your boss, you should find out if there are other employees who have been similar situations in the past, and whether a salary increase was automatic, or even possible. (Your coworkers may not feel comfortable talking numbers, but likely they will at least be willing to tell you the possibility of an increase.) Given you're at a large company and in a common role there, it seems likely there should be some past history available to you to help guide your expectations, and to give you some ammunition (but don't name names unless they give you permission to do so).

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community