Should I end contact with a employment agency if I have a tentative offer from the same target company?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I was contacted for contract work by a employment agency for a position for a company I really wanted to work for as a full time employee; the agency offered a contract role for 12 months. However, since I also applied for an actual job with the company I wanted to work for, I was fortunately contacted for an official position with the company after I notified them of this employment agency contact.

I recently finished an in person interview and I called a HR person today (a week after) about if I had the position. She said she was 90% sure and was going to get back to me today. They are very swamped with hiring right now apparently. However, she also wanted me to cancel contact via an email or other means with the contract employment company for the other available position for that same company.

What should I do in this case to have the best chance to work for this company? I want to work for the company (I would prefer an actual employment vs. contract) but don't want to ruin any chances / burn any bridges. 90% is not 100% and I don't have an official offer yet, although for what its worth this HR person seems trustworthy and kind.

P.S. This was cross posted from Meta Workplace because I wasn't sure if it was a duplicate via: "How do I coordinate the process of pursuing multiple job opportunities at the same time?"

EDIT: I emailed the contractor and said I was no longer interested and she accepted that. I also called the HR of the company I wanted to work for and they said they were "still undergoing hiring and need to wait for a shift to open up", but they seemed confident I had a place. She explained that internal interviews were being done and people were being moved around at levels higher than my position. She gave me an "ETA" of a few weeks (near end of march / start of April), so with that in mind should I still continue to search for jobs / actively apply?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You should not cancel contact with the employment agency until you have accepted the Company's written offer and passed background and credit checks (if they do them). Never cut off a potential employment opportunity until you fully have a job (not just a written offer).

She might be asking you to cut contact with the employment agency because of fees the Company might have to pay the EA. She's either trying to dodge fees that the Company should pay, or she's trying to make it clear that they don't owe the fees because you applied for that particular role directly with the Company. You could ask her "why" if you want to know, or if she presses the matter. Otherwise, I'd ignore the request.

In any case, it doesn't matter what you do at this point. The thing that determines if the Company owes EA money for your hire is the contract they have and exactly how first contact was made between you and Company.

Life lesson: try very hard to avoid talking with a company both directly yourself and also through an EA. Even if the company does not want resumes presented by an EA, if they get your name through an EA they might not hire you because of the potential lawsuit that the EA could bring.

Good luck!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community