The mysterious salary formula

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I've been observing a trend in several European and American software companies when it comes to salary negotiations. Basically, HR says we have a "formula" to calculate the salary for our employees according to their years of experience and the interviewers' feedback. However, none of them ever let you see that formula. They just tell you that this is a fair way to calculate the salary for all employees so that people with the same experience have close salaries.

Is this true? Or is this just a tactic in negotiations to convince the applicant to accept the offer?

I personally found it difficult to ask for more because it comes off as someone who wants more than his "equal" peers. After all, the company is telling you that all employees in your level are treated equally which gives a false sense of confidence in the deal from my side.

Is there really a salary formula out there? And if so, how do you negotiate for more in that situation?

Update for duplicate votes The duplicate question states how to determine a reasonable salary. My question comes at a later stage of negotiation and aims at countering the situation when HR somewhat put you in a situation where asking for more implies that you are asking them to ignore the policy laid for salaries.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Is there really a salary formula out there? and if so how do you negotiate for more in that situation?

Initial response

Yes, there are several sources available for this data for both the employer and you. I would ignore this tactic entirely however, its a facade used to make you think you are not worth as much as you expect. ( in the hopes you will take less money to come work for them )

Follow up

There are tons of resources available online that are accurate with what a person in a particular field with X number of years should make. ( yes a simple average formula based on field, location, and experience )

If that number does not fall in the range of what is being offered to you by a prospective employer, then I would decline and move on to the next opportunity. If asked for a reason, then tell them what you salary expectations are, and cite your sources. I am intentionally not offering any sources for this information in this answer. ( Easily Google-able )

Employers know, or at least should know, what the going rate for a particular skill set it.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community