What happens in HR after manager hands out a verbal offer? [closed]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

My potential future manager followed up with me after an interview and hands out a "verbal offer"(We didn't talk about compensation or benefits, he was ensuring that I am still available, interested in the position and mentioned that the interview process will be waived once I applied online) The manager mentioned there is going to be a delay on the official offer as the HR is not ready to post the job on the website yet. I'm really curious what that means and what happens in HR after manager gives a verbal offer to a candidate? As I am not familiar with the HR process.

It's been two weeks since I last spoken with the manager, and I saw the HR department checked my website last week and opened every page on the website. I understand it usually takes awhile for HR to hands out an official offer especially around the href="https://forum.tuteehub.com/tag/holiday">holiday season but I thought all those background checks come after a candidate accepted the offer. Am I just being held as a backup while they're waiting to hear from other candidates?

Much appreciated!

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

"You Know Nothing [Yet], Jon Snow!"

My potential future manager followed up with me after an interview and hands out a verbal offer...The manager mentioned there is going to be a delay on the official offer as the HR is not ready to post the job on the website yet.

It's impossible to read too much into a situation where one wasn't present, so your mileage may vary. However, this happens often enough that one can make some reasonable assumptions based on life experience. More pragmatically, it means that the following are all equally likely to be true:

1. The manager liked you enough to want to make sure you were still on the market before recommending a candidate to HR.
  2. The manager probably didn't intend to make a "verbal offer," but rather was giving you positive feedback that you'd made the short list from which the final selection would actually be made.
  3. The manager probably recommended that you be made an offer, if you said you were still available and interested.
  4. This particular manager is likely not the actual hiring authority.
  5. The manager was hiring you ahead of a posting (which can be a good thing), but it can also mean the manager had no backing to actually hire anyone.
  6. The hiring process will unwind at a pace that neither the hiring manager nor you can directly control.
  7. You do not actually have a real offer yet.
  8. You do not yet have an actual job with them.
  9. You do not yet know the parameters of any possible offer, including wages or benefits.
  10. You have no timeline expectations from the employer, so you have no way to know if (among other possibilities) the delay is routine, they're waiting on budget or headcount approval for the role, you're still just one candidate among many, or if it's something else altogether.

Basically, you have questions, and random strangers on the Internet can't really tell you what the employer's standard process is or what's in their minds. While it's likely that you're in a holding pattern until the end of the year, if you want to know what your status is or what their timeline is for providing you with an offer, you'll have to ask them.

It's not at all unreasonable to reach out to the manager (or the human resources department, depending on the politics) and ask something like:

Thanks for the feedback you gave me a few weeks ago. Will I be receiving an offer? If so, when should I expect an offer to be extended?

You can gussy it up and make it more polite (or more demanding, if you prefer) but in the end you are simply asking that they define their process and a time box for you. That's not at all unreasonable, and is really the only way you will get a definitive answer to your very reasonable process-related questions.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community