What's the point of asking previous salary of an applicant?

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

In India I don't know why but most of the HR person usually ask about previous pay. What's the point of asking this?

This is not duplicate of How to respond to a direct ask of salary earned and expectations? as I am looking for reason on why HR would be concerned about previous salary.

Is it because they wan't to hire the applicant at minimum wage possible?

if that's the case then would it be fair in a company if two people who are doing the same work are paid very differently just because one person's previous salary was less?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I disagree with Snow's answer, it's not a sanity check to measure you have realistic expectations it's a cunning tactic of bargain that exploits introverted and low steem individuals all they want is to low ball you in hopes you're being underpaid and you don't realize

Asking for 20% more of what you currently make gives them leverage to question your entire career this puts them in psychological advantage, and I see them do this all the time with juniors and mid level

This is why many people refuse to talk about it none of their business Just do your market research and give them a number of what you expect as salary no need to tell them how much you currently make

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community