What to do when a project is outside of my capabilities?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am currently working on a software project with myself and one other developer (we are at an equal level in the company), however, we've been stuck at more or less the same point in this project for about a week now with no sign of any progress.

Either the project is simply "too hard" for the both of us (we both at a medium pay bracket and skill level) or it is downright impossible. What makes it particularly difficult is that our manager is also a programmer and has mandated that many things be architected/implemented in a certain way, and working around these constraints only makes it harder to accomplish the task.

It doesn't seem reasonable to ask my manager to take me off this project since it's a relatively small company and there aren't any other projects which I can go on to. So the only thing I can do is ask my manager to relax some of the implementation constraints to make the project "easier" or it will never get done.

How can I go about this in a professional way, without embarrassing or devaluing myself as an employee?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

When you're stuck, it's time to escalate. But escalate the correct problem, which is that you're stuck. The problem isn't (yet) that you shouldn't be on this project.

Make an appointment with your manager and explain where you are stuck and (important!) what you have already tried. Ask for help in solving the technical problem. Perhaps there is something your manager doesn't know you don't know, or perhaps there's a real issue with the manager's approach and you've now discovered it, or perhaps it's a mismatch between your skills and project needs. Go in with an attitude of "let's figure out how to solve this", not "get me off of this thing", and if your manager is reasonable, you'll be able to work together to get you unstuck, one way or another.

Showing the boss what you've already tried is important because it shows that you're not just lazy and dumping problems on him at first opportunity, and because it shows him how you're trying to solve the problem. I've been part of many conversations where, once that part was presented, light dawned -- that isn't a good approach and try this instead. I've been on both sides of that conversation.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community