Instantiate GameObjects from editor via InitializeOnLoad

Web Technologies Web Development . 2 years ago

0   1   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating
_x000D_ _x000D_ I have a programmatically generated board of a certain size. In order to see it, I would normally have to hit run, which is quite annoying and makes it hard to visualize. Is it possible to make, and thus be able to visualize, the board via InitializeOnLoad? I gave it a try: Setup.cs [InitializeOnLoad] public class Setup : MonoBehaviour { public static Map initialMap; static Setup(){ initialMap = new Map (); initialMap.createMap (); } } Map.cs public class Map { private Tile[,] tiles= new Tile[5,5]; //I had Resources.Load here, but apparently thats not allowed either... public GameObject defaultObj= new GameObject("MyCreatedGO"); public Map (){ Debug.Log("In Constructor"); } public void createMap(){ for (int x = 0; x < tiles.GetLength(0); x += 1) { for (int y = 0; y < tiles.GetLength(1); y += 1) { // Tile Instantiates the defaultObj tiles [x, y] = new Tile (defaultObj, new Vector3 (x, y, 0)); } } } } But unity responded by complaining that UnityException: Internal_CreateGameObject is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'Setup' on game object 'Map'. Is the engine even in a state where it can make objects when the InitializeOnLoad-ed static constructor happens? If this isn't possible, how are you supposed to visualize a procedurally generated map in Unity?

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Web Development related to Web Technologies. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (1)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago
_x000D_ I'm not sure if Unity can do that, but you can work around it. Make a width and height variable, then expose them to the editor - either by making them public or by [SerializeField] attribute, and then edit them in the inspector while the editor is running the game. Use those variables for your x and y values in createMap(). Then you'd just have to add a section like this in Update(), to generate a new map on left click: if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0)) { // call generate map here } Check out this tutorial, too: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/procedural-cave-generation-tutorial/cellular-automata
0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

Important Web Technologies Links

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community