Is it appropriate to attend a minority career fair when I'm not a minority? [closed]

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Disclaimer: I feel this is a huge "NO-NO" for me to do, it would just make me look like an ass.

My university is hosting a minority STEM job fair with the intention of bolstering hiring rates for minority students. I don't have problem with this, especially with me being a white male.

My roommates however, are minorities, racially and also immigrants. They trying to convince me to attend the fair with them as we all have the same degree and try to help each other out when searching for jobs.

I think that the employers at the fair would look down on this and my fellow students would also disapprove of this.

Am I right in thinking it would be inappropriate of me to attend?

Edit: I have no intention of going, but my roommates are insisting that it would not be an issue to attend, and will not accept my explanation of how bad it would look for me.

Edit: To clarify some misunderstanding: It is not that they "need me for support" or anything like that, it is just that they don't really get why I am so hesitant to attend. It isn't 'gun to my head' sort of insisting, just a general "hey, attend this with us to talk to some good companies"

Edit: My apologies on posting a controversial topic, I didn't mean to start an issue here

Final Edit: I am a dumbass who can’t explain things correctly. Then idea is that it would be good for my job hunting to go to the career fair and talk with employers, but I explained to my roommates that going to such a fair would not be beneficial to me as I am not the target recruit for this event.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Why not attend another career fair that is not minority focused with your room-mates?

Am I right in thinking it would be inappropriate of me to attend?

Yes, you are right - it would be inappropriate for you to attend.

The point of this career fair is to allow businesses to connect with minority candidates.

At best, you'd look out of touch with current affairs, at worst, you could end up as a meme or viral post.

EDIT: I wouldn't show up just to support my friends. That wouldn't stop someone who doesn't understand why you're there from snapping a picture and posting it with a negative comment.

I don't get the "support his friends" angle. It's a job fair. You show up, hand out all the copies of your resume then meet your friends after. This is a professional networking event targeted at a specific audience.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community