What point does company's generosity during the interview process have?

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I've applied for a job with a startup - young but, judging by the number of job ads published, quickly growing company.

They invited me to an interview, paid me a flight in first-class, a really good hotel and booked me a chauffeur. I'm not kidding.

That's absolutely untypical in my country, especially given that I'm not applying for a job on a C-level. I've applied with big wealthy corporations before but even they weren't so generous, they weren't even close. My skills are ok I guess, but it's not like I'm the only person in the country having them.

What are the reasons for this generosity? I can think of the following explanations:

• the company wants to show how generous they are so that I accept a lower salary than the salary expectations I gave them with a promise that I will get a raise quickly
  • the company hasn't learned yet to be careful with money and is doomed

What point does a company's generosity during the interview process have?

// Update //

I attended the interview and got an offer. It was one of these we-are-all-one-family-companies that expect you to have no life outside of work and identify with the company 100% - making company seem generous can help with that I guess. They stressed that they get free coffee and some (tiny) benefits other companies don't cover, but... The company expected their employees to work 12+ h/ day (which isn't even legal in my country)! And the salary offered didn't reflect the work times at all. Basically, it was what I expected it to be.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The usual reason for being generous during a job interview is simply to leave the interviewee with a good impression. Job interviews go both ways, after all.

If they offer you the job: "wow, these guys didn't just offer me a job but sorted out my travel too, that's amazing! I like these guys - I'm definitely going to accept!"

If they don't offer you the job: "aw, shucks, these guys didn't offer me the job... but I'm going to tell all my friends how generous they were! My friends might then apply there too!"

It's simply good business for a company to treat interviewees well and leave them with a positive impression. And (unless your cynicism level is even higher than mine, which is normally pretty high) there's no reason to think it's in any way nefarious... you seem to be assuming their generosity is either based on idiocy or deception. Maybe they just treat their staff (and potential staff) well? Such companies are rumoured to exist...

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community