Solicited on LinkedIn, but for what? [closed]

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

TL:DR
 Contacted on LinkedIn, agreed to a meeting with an account rep about my experiences at my current company. I'm not sure if she wants to talk job opportunity or looking for me to put her in touch with someone in order to sell their services.

The long of it: Recently (like 2 weeks ago), I started a new LinkedIn account for 2 reasons. To try to network with people and maybe see what kind of job opportunities exist. I'm currently employed so I wasn't actively looking to change that unless something great popped up.

My profile was incomplete for a couple of days while I was putting it all together but had the basic information, my job title, my current employer, and my goal.

I was contacted during that time by someone from a fairly local software engineering company. Its a little hard to get a clear idea of what this company does, they are intentionally broad/vague on their website but they are an established company. A few years back when I was still in school I was at job fair where they had a booth and the rep was very vague and secretive about what they did. It left me and a couple classmates a little turned off (Why would we be interested when they can't interest us?). I think they were just trying to put out a start up vibe even though they had existed for 20 years already.

The message I receive on LinkedIn essentially stated that this person was going to be in the area, wanted to have a quick chat over coffee about my experience at my current company. I didn't put too much thought into it and agreed thinking this would not only be a good networking opportunity but possibly discussion of job prospects as well.

After I accepted, and as I was building up my profile some more, I noticed that the person that contacted me was an account rep or sales rep. Hm. I looked through the companies other LinkedIn employees and there wasn't anyone listed as HR so this had me wondering a couple things.

Is this person trying to solicit some kind of sales contract? My job title listed doesn't peg me as anyone with the kind of position to contract an outside party for work. Our company is pretty big, while some things are in-house at our segment, some things are outsourced, and other things are done from a corporate, global level. I'm not even close to being a contact.

Is she using me to get in touch with someone that is? Why the need to meet in person?

Would an account/sales rep be in a position to also act as a recruiter? My job title also doesn't seem to be solid indicator that I'd be qualified to work for them. My profile is more complete now, and would reflect that better. I don't feel it appropriate to say, "hey, check my profile now for more info." While this was all a pretty informal chat to meet for an informal meeting, I don't want to make the entire thing goofy.

What can be accomplished over coffee? Am I just wasting my time?

It feels a little late to ask for clarification and a bit awkward as well. How should I handle this?

Is there a question similar that has some insight? I can't find one.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Is this person trying to solicit some kind of sales contract?

Impossible to tell. That you will know when you two meet and her intentions become clear.

Would an account/sales rep be in a position to also act as a recruiter?

Possibly yes, in a way.

She might be probing around to see if you are interested in the job switch, with possible future meetings (perhaps then with an official recruiter) if you decide to pursue them.

Is she using me to get in touch with someone that is?

Hard to tell also, if she is indeed hunting employees chances are that if you turn it down she might try asking if you know of anyone else that might be interested (a move that I've witnessed a few times). It will be up to you what to answer if that happens.

What can be accomplished over coffee? Am I just wasting my time? It feels a little late to ask for clarification and a bit awkward as well. How should I handle this?

Discussing things over a coffee and in person can be a more effective way of communication. The conversation is more direct, fast, and efficient when speaking face to face. Not to mention the non-spoken aspects (body language, etc.) involved in the conversation.

In a way, you are doing her a "favor", as you aren't looking for another job now as far as you have told us, but it still can be a situation that could serve you as networking or similar; the only way to know is to meet with her.

Remember that when/if you meet you are free to end the meeting anytime, if it turns out to be something you don't want.

I think that you can still ask for some clarification, without having it to be awkward. You can write to her saying something like: "Hello Jane. I would like to know more or less what topics we will be discussing in our upcoming meeting, so I can better prepare myself and perhaps prepare some things to show you as example."... this way you will be probing her intentions more directly, without seeming like you are backing off or being awkward.

Just, if you end up meeting with her, it's worth remembering to be careful not discuss sensible or confidential things about your current job, as that can get you in trouble.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community