When seeking a new job, when should I mention that I want a 4-day work week?

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am not currently looking for a new job but I am thinking about the future. In my current job, I negotiated a 4-day work week (for a proportioned cut in salary) a year or so after starting there.

My reasons for doing so are mostly that this schedule offers me a better work-life balance, reduces stress and lets me enjoy life more. If I was required to expand on this, I would even argue it has positively affected my productivity, but I am not here to argue the pros and cons of such a schedule.

I would like to continue with such a schedule in the future. When looking for a new job, when is it a suitable time to mention this? On my resume? The first interview or phone call? After I have received an offer?

Many employers can see this type of thing as a negative, which is why I would be reluctant to mention this before receiving an offer, but at the same time I respect the employer's time and do not want them to waste it.

Additionally, when seeking a new job I sometimes deal with recruiters; should it be something I mention to them or no?

If it matters, I am based in the UK, in the software industry.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I would like to continue with such a schedule in the future. When looking for a new job, when is it a suitable time to mention this? On my resume? The first interview or phone call? After I have received an offer?

That depends on how important a four day work week is for you, and how flexible you are. Let's assume it's a must have and you would not accept a job without that perk. In this case you'll have far fewer opportunities, but those will be companies that could actually meet your needs.

First, you should be looking for job listings that talk about "flexible", "work-life balance", or of course "four day work week". These kinds of companies are more likely to meet your needs.

Second, you should be ready to ask the question during your first interview - either on the phone or in person. Since this is a go/no go question for you, you'll want to avoid wasting your time and their time if they cannot accommodate your needs. Ask soon into the process.

Third, you'll probably want to be ready to explain why this is important to you, and also why it would be good for the company. Remember that many companies care far less about your work-life balance, stress, and personal enjoyment and more about the work they need to get done and your productivity. So be ready to convince them why this would be good for them.

If this perk isn't critical for you, then you could take other approaches. The one most likely to be successful appears to be one you have already used: find a full time job, work there until you are trusted and respected, then ask to go to four days per week.

Additionally, when seeking a new job I sometimes deal with recruiters; should it be something I mention to them or no?

Again, assuming this is a critical perk for you, then that is the first thing you should mention to any recruiters. They will know (or can find out) if the hiring company would be willing to be flexible.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community