When to look for a new job without looking like a job hopper

Career Talk Job Search Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Job Search Queries related to Career Talk. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

One year ago I got my first job in IT (in some area A), and so far everything is going well. However, after graduating university, I wanted to work in a different area (let's call it area B), but I accepted this job offer because I didn't want to risk and keep looking for something different. I couldn't afford spending several months searching for a job that I'd really like. I'm still very interested in area B, and I want to start looking for a job there, but I see some potential issues:

1. I've worked for my current company for only one year, and it's my first job in IT, so applying for a new job now might make me look like a job hopper. On the other hand, areas A and B are quite different (e.g. like QA and web design), so working for too long in area A reduces my chances to find something in area B. What, based on your experience/observations, would be the right moment to start looking for a new job instead of the job that was taken just for money and experience?
  2. Is it ok to honestly say during a job interview that I want to quit my current job because I always wanted to do B and have never been really interested in A? Or should I make up a better reason?

P.S. I'm living in the EU, if it matters.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The unfortunate truth of software development is that moving around is sometimes a necessity. Staying with the same tech stack for a long time can be disadvantageous.

Personally, as a general rule of thumb, I "omit the negative" in an interview. Don't speak in negatives, about the old job, about people, about anything really. You should always be looking forward and appear to have goals.

Something like: "I've always wanted to do B. It's fascinating that some example of you knowing about it through personal exploration. That sort of thing really moves me."

Something like this. In short, enthusiasm. It would be naive to assume anyone's first job is their IDEAL job. But people eventually move toward their ideal. So best not talk about the steps before and talk about the steps ahead.

If I were you, I would switch and then stay at the new job for at least 2-3 years... (closer to three) and that should brake any hint of job hopping.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community